What Happens in Vegas...
My first ever trip to Las Vegas was a memorable one - most notably for the excitement of being among 2000 music teachers from across the country (and around the world) for the 2015 Music Teachers National Association National Conference. The daily schedule was jam-packed with seminars, workshops, division meetings, masterclasses, competitions, and performances. Headliners for performances and masterclasses included Ann Schein, Lang Lang, Sir James and Lady Jeanne Galaway, Ann Schein, The Canadian Brass, and Lang Lang. Presenters included well-known musicians, educators, composers, and researchers.
My favorite experiences included:
1. Observing masterclasses and performances by Ann Schein, Lang Lang, Alan Chow, Sir James and Lady Jeanne Galaway, Ann Schein, The Canadian Brass, and Lang Lang as well as MTNA Distinguished Composer of the Year Christos Tsitsaros.
2. Exploring teaching approaches to topics including musical analysis, applied theory and history, improvisation technique, sight-reading, and memorization through the following sessions:
3. Participation in pedagogy tracks:
4. Participation in seminars on arts advocacy and state/division meetings.
5. Discovering new musical selections presented by composers and publishers, and new tools in musical technology through the exhibit hall.
Leave a Reply.
Elizabeth Borowsky is a pianist, teacher, and composer. She is a Nationally Certified Teacher of Music in Piano (Music Teachers National Association).